One of my favourite salads to make with tomatoes is Panzanella. Their is something special about the mixture of textures, although traditionally made with stale wheat bread, I have adapted it by using a gluten free bread roll. This recipe has been inspired by a salad in Jamie Oliver’s 30 Minute cookbook. I have added avocado because, well, I love them, which is justification in itself.
I only make Panzanella when I’m on holiday, when I have time to relax with a glass of wine and eat a leisurely lunch in the
1 gluten free roll
Olive oil for drizzling
1 garlic clove, crushed
300g ripe mixed tomatoes, roughly chopped
Handful of capers, rinsed and drained
1 large (jarred) red pepper, drained and roughly chopped
1 avocado, chopped
2 tsp. crème d’anchoiade
2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
6 tbsp. extra olive oil
Handful of basil leaves
- Cut the gluten free roll into 2 cm cubes, toss will olive oil and crushed garlic.
- Season and grill until golden brown and crisp, all over (keep a close eye on them so they don’t burn giving them a stir around regularly)
- Place the tomatoes in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Add to the tomatoes, avocado, along with the pepper and cubes of bread.
- Mix the oil and vinegar together in a jar, add the crème d’anchoiade, seasoning and shake until thoroughly mixed.
- Add some dressing to the tomato mixture and toss with your hands (the best utensil of all!).
- Tear in the basil leaves and serve.
There will be some dressing leftover, which can be kept in the fridge for a couple of days.