This is a very delicious soup and is very simple to make. Perfect for a cold winter lunch, eaten in front of a roaring fire. Why would you want to buy ready-made?
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
450g roughly chopped
110g coarsely grated
1 litre vegetable stock
Pinch of grated nutmeg
1 tbsp. fresh coriander, chopped
100ml single cream
Salt and pepper to season (I use My Secret Kitchen Lemon & Chipotle Spiced Sea Salt, instead of salt
Pinch of chilli flakes (if you like it spicy, otherwise leave them out, it still tastes good!)
To garnish: Natural yogurt 2tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- Melt the butter and cook the garlic and onion very gently until soft, but not coloured in a covered pan (about 10 minutes, but do check regularly).
- Add the chopped carrots, stock and nutmeg.
- Bring to the boil and cover pan.
- Simmer gently for 20 minutes until the vegetables are tender. Cool a little and then blend until smooth. Return the soup to a clean saucepan with the chilli flakes, if using.
- Stir in the grated carrots, coriander and cream. Season to taste.
- Garnish with a swirl of yogurt (don’t worry if it sinks like mine did- add a little water to the yogurt, to thin it, and then it should stay on the top in a pretty pattern!).
- Sprinkle with the coriander.
- Serve in warmed bowls.