One of my daughters likes to have this after swimming training, as it’s so warm and comforting. It’s like a big hug in a dish. I like it served with steamed greens or peas.
500g lean minced beef
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
1 leek, trimmed and chopped finely
2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
2 tbsp. tomato puree
500ml beef stock
1 ½ tsp. herbs de provence
1 tbsp. sweet chilli sauce
Freshly ground pepper
800g potatoes, peeled+ 2tbsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 220C/Fan 200C/Gas 7.
- Place the mince, onion, leeks and carrots into a large non stick pan and cook until lightly coloured, breaking up the mince with a wooden spoon to ensure it is well combined.
- Add the tomato puree, beef stock, herbs and sweet chilli sauce and season with salt and plenty of black pepper.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Boil the potatoes in salted water until they are soft. Drain and then pass them through a potato ricer.
- Return the potato to the pan and then adding the milk stir briskly until fluffy. Season with black pepper.
- When the beef is cooked pour it into a baking dish, top with the mashed potatoes and bake for 25- 30 minutes until the top is golden and the filling is bubbling.
- Let the pie stand for 5 minutes or so, to cool a little before eating!