I’ve never made savoury muffins before, but I wanted to try something different to go with soup. I’m definitely a ‘convert’ now. They smell wonderful and tasted even better!
They could also be served with some homemade chutney.
140g Mature Cheddar, grated
240ml Semi-Skimmed Milk
2 Eggs, beaten
75g Melted butter, cooled
280g Gluten free self-raising flour
1 tsp. xanthan gum
5 spring onions chopped
½ tsp. Herbs de Provence
Salt and Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190c.
- Line a muffin tin with 10 muffin cases.
- Put the flour and xanthan gum into a bowl.
- Mix the milk, eggs and butter together and mix well.
(If the butter is added before it is cool enough it will began solidify. It happened to me-I was too impatient! If it does happen, don’t panic! Heat very gently on the hob until it liquifies again. Not too much incase you make scrambled eggs!)
- Pour the mixture into the flour and mix until just combined.
- Stir in the cheese, spring onions, herbs and salt and pepper.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases (an ice cream scoop is about the right size).
- Bake in the oven until risen and golden brown – around 15 minutes.
- Serve warm.
They can be reheated for 5 minutes in the oven.