I love spicy soups and this one puts me in mind of a soup that was served to me at a party as a canapé, and cooked by the chef Rob Foster.
It can also be served in a bowl!
2 tbsp. coconut oil
1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
500g parsnips, peeled and roughly chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
2 tsp. lemon grass paste
400ml gluten free chicken stock (or vegetable stock if you are vegetarian)
2tbsp fish sauce
400ml reduced fat coconut milk
Juice of 1 lime
Handful of fresh coriander, chopped finely
Handful of mint leaves, chopped finely
- Place the oil, chilli, parsnips, garlic, ginger and lemongrass paste into a large saucepan.
- Give it a good stir, and then sweat over a gentle heat, for 10 minutes.
- Add the stock and the fish sauce.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer for 20 minutes, until the parsnip is very tender.
- Add the coconut milk and then liquidize thoroughly.
- If the soup is too thick, add a little boiling water.
- Reheat gently.
- Sir in the lime juice and season. Top with the finely chopped herbs.