These flapjacks are deliciously chewy, you could almost believe that these are super-healthy, if you just focus on the oats!
175g golden syrup
175g muscovado sugar
350g/12oz porridge oats
(I used gluten free oats for this recipe, but ‘regular’ rolled oats work just as well)
1⁄2 lemon, finely grated
zest pinch ground ginger
50g chocolate drops
- Preheat the oven to 150C/300F/Gas 2 and line a 20cm/8in square baking tin with baking paper.
- Melt the butter in a medium pan over a low heat.
- Brush a little on the baking paper.
- Add the golden syrup and sugar to the butter and heat gently.
- Once the sugar is dissolved and the butter is melted, remove the pan from the heat and stir in the porridge oats, lemon zest and ginger.
- Press the mixture into the tin and then sprinkle with chocolate drops. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 15 minutes.
- Turn the cooked mixture out on to a chopping board and cut into squares.
Recipe adapted from ‘ Flapjacks’ -Baking Made Easy by Lorraine Pascale